Wednesday, January 3, 2007

I hope no one interpreted my last blog entry as a rant in any way - not intended as such. Merely observations on my part and things that I learned along the way. I realize that some friends and family who didn't attend the wedding were dying to be there but had perfectly good reasons why they couldn't. I certainly will not hold anyone to a higher standard than I would want them to hold me. Some responses of people surprised me. Some people seemingly didn't desire to be invited who were, some wanted to be invited that weren't. Some couldn't attend but sent lovely cards and/or gifts or personal notes to Whitney and Travis. I respect that completely. Some didn't RSVP and showed up, some RSVP'd and didn't. I was most surprised by the complete lack of acknowledgement by some. I guess what I learned was that there is no way to get it quite right no matter how good your intentions. Someone will get their feelings hurt and perhaps there is no way to avoid that. Again, my point: weddings are someplace you can burn bridges easily. Beware!

I think I may be having my January-winter-wanting-to-be-in-Maui blues. I've been feeling sorry for myself that there are still three months of winter to go and I'm already sick of snow and cold and bad roads. I don't want to go out at all. I could really get into just staying in my sweats all day and never leaving the house. All I want to do is sleep and eat, but that doesn't bode well with my New Year's Resolution to work out more and eat less. I took down all the Christmas stuff today. It's nice to have the living room back, but it also reminds me that it's so long till spring. I need to start a project!

So it's back to work tomorrow. Mostly that's a fine thing. Most of the time I like working at my church. Some days I wish I didn't see or hear or know things that I do. I see the best and worst in people and sometimes it makes me not want to go to church on Sunday, but I know people aren't perfect and it's not about them. I just wish sometimes we all looked a little more like Christ and less like fallen humanity.



1 Comments:

At January 9, 2007 at 3:24 PM , Blogger Sandy said...

Having done two weddings now - and glad I don't have to do any more - I've decided you can never get it exactly right, and all the books in the world won't change that. There are too many details and too many personalities involved, it's a situation that is ripe for "hurt" feelings. After Robyn's wedding I had to write an apology letter because someone had been left off the guest list (not my fault!), but I've learned that it's easier to say "I'm sorry," and move on (whether it's your doing or not). Hopefully if I've offended anyone (and I probably have), they will forgive my shortcomings and I can do the same for others. Life is too short, friends and family are too precious. When all is said and done, the important thing is that the bride and groom can look back on their wedding day with warm fuzzy feelings and say, "It was just what we wanted." (FYI - a son's wedding is easier than a daughter's!)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home