Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Time Flies...and Life is Short

I have so much fun reading my niece Rachel's blog (she's so dedicated!) and seeing all the pics. I am bad about remembering to take photos, but I will try to get better. I do love keeping up with family and friends, so I guess I'd better do my part!

This is an interesting transition year. We got to adjust to Whitney moving back home and then the whole marriage thing. It's been so much fun and I love seeing them married. They are so darn happy! We try to give them lots of space without abandoning them, but we still love spending time with them and hearing about all their activities and plans. I feel so fortunate that they live so close and know I will love that when the grandbabies come (do I keep mentioning that I can't wait for grandkids?!)

Now Alex is THIS close to leaving the nest. I somehow feel a little more ready for him to go than I did when Whit left. I will still probably cry when I drop him off at the school he ends up going to, but maybe I won't bawl all the way back to North Bend like I did when we left Whit at SPU the first time (Yes, that is a true confession - I was a mess!) Now when my 6'3" baby boy crushes me in a big hug, I can't help to think back to the teeny little thing he was when he came home with us. Time flies!

Now that my kids are about raised, my goal is to spend more quality time with the important people in my life. I want to get over to see my Mom and Dad WAY more often and spend time with my wonderful sisters and my dear friend, Mishell. I know I have neglected them in the years when keeping track of my kids was priority, but more and more I know that life is short and I need to make the most of every day. It's so easy to fall into a rut and not take the time to say what needs to be said.

Also makes me realize that because life is so short, I don't need to fret about keeping up relationships that don't mean anything. I don't mean you don't have to work at relationships, but if you have to work so hard and there is no joy, what's the point? If someone makes it clear that what's important to me isn't important to them, then I don't consider that friendship. I don't mean they have to agree with everything or take part in everything I do, but if they are not interested, why share it with them? I have a hard enough time spending quality time with the important people in my life. I guess bottom line is.....life is short and I don't want to waste a minute on conditional or superficial relationships. That is my wisdom for the week.

Now that I have been profound (or not) I guess I'll go to the gym and work on my bikini body for Maui (ha!) After all, that is not superficial, right?

1 Comments:

At February 15, 2007 at 11:40 PM , Blogger Rachel said...

Aw, I love reading your blog too! I WOULD love to see some more pics of you and the fam though, hint hint :) Tell that husband of your's that he's a BIG time blog slacker...No post, no pictures, no NOTHING...Well, maybe I'll forgive him, this once! Haha

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home