Friday, March 27, 2009

March Sadness


Weelllll......it was pretty sad to watch the Zags be totally dominated by the Tarheels. UNC was strong inside, outside and every other way. Zags struggled inside - no answer for Hansbrough. They struggled outside - no answer for Lawson. They beat themselves with turnovers. But it was the Sweet Sixteen. Pretty impressive to end the year in the top sixteen of the nation. It was a great run -thanks Bulldogs for a very entertaining year of basketball.

It appears to me that the bracket builders for the year did a good job of setting up the tournament to really be the best of the best in the final four. I think some really exciting games are ahead. I just wish GU was in one of them.

So not that I know that much, but here are what seem to be some pretty obvious suggestions for next year. 1. Recruit another BIG inside guy. Sacre will be back, but how long will it take him to get in the game after a major injury? He has little experience against the tough teams. Will Foster aint gonna do it unless they send him to soccer camp over the summer and teach him some footwork and how to get off the floor. Another Ronny Turiaf is what I'm thinking. 2. Recruit some scrappy players. We're known as a finesse team. That doesn't go far against the Big East. Ira Brown shoulda played more just to be a feisty sparkplug under the net. 3. Bouldin is amazing, but when he gets shut down or has an off night, we don't have another answer for leading the team. They call Pargo the leader, but he is too inconsistent. Hopefully Goodson will be part of the answer to compliment Bouldin. 4. Don't rely on the WCC to be an indicator for how competitive we are. We need more games against the big guns later in the season.

Bottom line, it's still very impressive for little old Gonzaga University to be a major player in NCAA basketball. They've put Spokane on the map. I'm still a huge fan. Let's not be hanging our heads. We have some work to do, but I'm already looking forward to what next season will bring. I'm proud to say I am a Zagmaniac.

5 Comments:

At March 28, 2009 at 7:22 AM , Blogger Keith said...

Mark Few's on the phone......

 
At March 28, 2009 at 12:29 PM , Blogger Cathey said...

I'm quite sure Mark Few would value my opinion - ha, ha! I'd be happy to be his advisor - for FREE (well, maybe for season tickets right behind the bench).

 
At March 30, 2009 at 4:48 PM , Blogger Rachel said...

Though this has nothing to do with this post...I miss you guys...and we are having puppies together...(did that sound okay?)

 
At March 31, 2009 at 10:43 AM , Blogger Cathey said...

Maybe we can compare puppy notes....first teeth, who walks first, who sleeps through the night first. :) I would say "our puppies are cuter than yours" but Aussie babies sort of look like moles for awhile. But once they get fuzzy, it's hard to beat their cute factor!

 
At March 31, 2009 at 11:00 AM , Blogger Rachel said...

Yeah, well dachshunds look like mice or rats when their born...BUT I LOVE PUPPIES!!!! I have to say, Aussie pups are darn cute. I can't wait to see your's!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home