Friday, February 6, 2009

A Dog's Life


I'm feeling a little reflective as my poor husband had to put one of our pets down today. Now mind you, she was ancient. I don't know what it is, but our pets tend to live extra long lives. She was 15 years old, had cancer, and had basically become a skeleton with skin on. She has been "dying" for a year and a half now and my biggest fear was that she would choose to do it when someone else was dog sitting for us. But the fact that the day finally arrived is still sad.


Shasta was a pound puppy. Some mix of shepherd and ??? We were looking for a new pup and our kids fell for her bright eyes and big ears. We are dog people and each one becomes part of the family. This one must have liked being part of our family because she hung around long after she could have left gracefully. I could get very sentimental here and tell "Marley and Me" type stories, but instead I choose to acknowledge her life, and her death, and keep going.


Life is fleeting even in the animal kingdom. Life with a pet is a mixed bag. They bring lots of joy, but their lives are short. It's the sacrificial choice you make when you bring one home. And so, we celebrate the years of joy and remember the fun we had with Shasta. She was a good and faithful friend.


2 Comments:

At February 6, 2009 at 12:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's too bad, I will definitely miss Shasta.

 
At February 6, 2009 at 1:06 PM , Blogger Rachel said...

Oh sad! I'm sorry about Shasta. I can't imagine having to put a dog down. I'm sure it will be very hard :(

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home