Thursday, November 20, 2008

Those Wise Guys Had it Figured Out


Every evening the news seems more dismal in regards to the current U.S. economy.  Dropping stocks, unemployment, mortgage foreclosures, bankruptcies.  And to top it all off?!  Consumers are actually planning to spend LESS for Christmas this year.  Can you believe it?!  People are out of work and they are cutting back?  Who would have thought?!   Imagine not being able to purchase new game systems for every child.  How can people live without all the latest electronic gadgets?  How shocking to think that some won't be able to purchase that GIANT hi-def flat screen complete with blue ray dvd and 842 channels!

Okay, I confess to sarcasm in case you didn't recognize it.  I know the recession is hurting a lot of people.  I know some have lost their jobs or are losing their homes not because of bad choices, but because of someone else's bad choices.  I have the greatest sympathy for those folks.  I've even BEEN those folks.  But in my humble opinion, a lot of what is going on is a correction that needed to happen.  Granted, this is a hard way to do it.  I'm concerned for the average American family who is taking the brunt of the mess.  But maybe, just maybe, if we had cut back a few years ago, it wouldn't be so traumatic now.  Maybe if we had been better stewards of God's provision along the way and not succumbed to the materialistic bent of our nation, it wouldn't be so scary right now.  I am not, of course, referring to any individuals, but to our nation as a whole.  We blew it and now we are paying for it.  Now it has snowballed to the place where modest spending for Christmas is resulting in store closures, job losses, bankrupt malls, and on, and on, and on.....

I like Christmas gifts as much as anyone.  And I'm sorry if my cutting back affects the economy negatively, but getting back to the basics where joy came from the simple things and it was about more than the gifts doesn't seem so bad to me.  And if I have to buy less stuff so that I can give more to others, I can live with that.  I'll be praying for those of you who are struggling financially and are trying to figure out how to eat, let alone shop this Christmas.  May it be the richest Christmas you have ever known.  Remember the fact that though the kings brought gifts, it wasn't at all about the gifts, but about the worship.  And that doesn't cost a thing.

2 Comments:

At November 20, 2008 at 9:46 PM , Blogger Life is short but God is sweet said...

Amen sister!!!!

 
At November 20, 2008 at 10:40 PM , Blogger Keith said...

Did you say big screen?????

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home