Sunday, November 2, 2008

The Answer to The Ailing Economy


I think mostly I am in denial about the economic state of things. I refuse to even look at our 401K statements. Often it's a challenge to pay our usual bills while paying college tuition at the same time. Seems like everytime we get a little ahead, something breaks. Keith's medical bills this year have been a burden - even the 20% copays add up.
But I refuse to worry about money. I refuse to let what I think I need rule my thoughts and actions. I have determined that everything we own is really God's and it will all burn one day anyway. Pastor Glenn gave a great sermon this morning about putting our trust in the One who owns it all. He doesn't let the birds starve, nor will he let us starve. Sometimes there is the temptation to skip our tithe check and "give it later". Later never happens.
So while the bills keep coming, the cars and appliances continue to break, the medical bills show up in the mailbox, I refuse to worry. I can do what I can do and let God do the rest. Scripture tells us not to worry about tomorrow as each day has enough trouble of it's own. Amen to that. Denial is sometimes not a bad thing.....
I love these words that Pastor Glenn used to close out his sermon today:
The Ticker on Wall Street isn't looking so great these days.
But here’s how the ticker on God's economy reads today.
God’s character today: Perfect and Unchanged.
God’s patience today: Endless and Unchanged.
God’s heart for a hurting world: Enormous and Unchanged.
God’s moral compass: Steadfast and Unchanged.
God’s love for you: Amazing and yes -- Unchanged.
The market may have dropped, but nothing in Heaven has changed today. God is still sovereign. Jesus still sits on the throne at the right hand of His Father. He is our solid rock – our unwavering anchor and our only true hope in a worrisome world. Now more than ever I challenge you to Trust in Him.

3 Comments:

At November 2, 2008 at 2:19 PM , Blogger Rachel said...

Thank you for that...I feel the same way :) I've avoided falling into the "pit of desperation" by remembering who is in control.

 
At November 3, 2008 at 11:02 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I completely agree - but then you knew that!

 
At November 3, 2008 at 2:22 PM , Blogger Life is short but God is sweet said...

I just saw the same thing on Pastor Glenn's blog and I totally agree.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home