Thursday, April 2, 2009

Stations of the Cross


One of the advantages of my job is that I have opportunities to expand my spiritual horizons. Our weekly staff meetings usually offer a chance for us to encourage and pray for each other along with discussing and making decisions regarding ministry and church business. But this week was extra special as we took our staff meeting on the road. We actually left the Timberview walls and took a field trip to the Student Chapel at Gonzaga University to view the Stations of the Cross. (Thanks, Whitney, for being our hostess and being our "in" at GU).

The Stations or Way of the Cross are depictions of the last hours of Christ. The Stations in the Student Chapel are beautiful three dimensional wood carvings. Pastor Glenn led us around the room to the fourteen stations and gave us a guide to follow. Following along with the scriptures added to the impact of the detailed carvings. I found it to be a powerful and memorable experience as I focused on what Christ experienced on his way to the cross. I was especially struck by the depiction of Simon coming to Christ's aid when the cross became too heavy. Of course God in the flesh could have done it all without help, but he chose to embrace humanity and let Simon come alongside. Christ can do all things, but he chooses to let us help him. I've meditated on that fact for the past two days. He doesn't NEED my help, but he WANTS my help. Profound. Humbling. Awe-inspiring.

This will remain a highlight of the Easter season for me this year. It's easy to become desensitized to Christ's suffering as we celebrate His resurrection year after year. Dying on the cross was not a simple act of mercy for mankind. It was brutal, painful, sacrificial. I don't want to overlook that. But I'm glad the fifteenth Station depicting the resurrection has been recognized as a vital addition to the Stations of the Cross. I love a happy ending.

2 Comments:

At April 3, 2009 at 11:08 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

In my younger years, frequently we would say the stations of the cross. When I had much on my mind, I would sit in church alone with Jesus, pray and listen and then walk and say a prayer in front of each station before heading home. That was in gradeschool many a year ago. Somethings you just don't forget and what Jesus did for all of us, I shall never forget. He must love us allot.
I know of a place the stations are carved in the brick wall by a local "sister." Will have to take you to that chapel someday-she is very talented and you would not believe her work. A gift from God.
Thanks for sharing your fieldtrip.

 
At April 4, 2009 at 8:39 PM , Blogger Kathryn @ Expectant Hearts said...

Cath, I LOVE the new header pic!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home