Saturday, June 14, 2008

Another Successful Ten-Miler


So this was one of the many awe-inspiring views along the way on the 2nd Annual Justin C. Haeger 10-Miler that I participated in this morning. Spectacular, huh? I did have the chance to enjoy some of the scenery along the way when I wasn't looking down at the pavement so I wouldn't see how much farther I still had to climb on a couple of nasty hills. It was a perfect day, beautiful and sunny, except that it did get a little warm the last mile or so as I was climbing up to T.J. Meenach Bridge and back to Spokane Falls Community College. Can't say I loved how my backside and legs were complaining on the last couple miles, nor how my lungs felt when I climbed a couple of those hills. But the feeling at the finish line was exhilarating. Personally, I would have enjoyed a 7-8 mile walk a little more, but being able to support Ron and Karen in this little venture was worth it all. And I guess it's good sometimes to challenge ourselves, test the limits of what we think we can do. I will feel the muscle soreness for the next couple days, but the fact is that I did it. I could have opted for the 3.3 miler (Keith did that one with Kayla and Alexa Biever) and believe me, the temptation was there. But there is something to be said about pushing beyond our comfort limits. It means more when you have to work at it and there are painful reminders of the work that you have done. I beat my time from last year by about 8 minutes - not bad.
And so, I will have to think about next year. Having conquered this particular course two years in a row, could I ever settle for 3.3? Time will tell.....

1 Comments:

At June 18, 2008 at 10:18 PM , Blogger Life is short but God is sweet said...

way to go cathey!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home