Sunday, June 8, 2008

The Unexpected

In my experience, sometimes God changes our plans for us when we get too "overplanned". I had a lot of plans this weekend that had to be put on hold because my dad got very sick and landed in the hospital. I spent the weekend with my Montana family running back and forth to the hospital and trying to figure out a plan for the unexpected. My dad came through this scary turn of events, and I was glad I could come and spend some time with him, mom and my sisters. I wouldn't have been anywhere else. We had important conversations that just aren't the same in email or on the phone. I had plans, but God had a better plan. He always does.

Dad is doing much better and I was able to bring him home today and get him settled before I have to go home and deal with the things I put on hold. My time with him is precious - always has been - but moreso now as he feels his time here is about over. Again, God has a plan and it will come to pass regardless of what Dad's plans are. In the meantime, I must remember to always expect the unexpected because life with God is like that and it is always better than anything I could expect.

2 Comments:

At June 9, 2008 at 5:40 AM , Blogger Life is short but God is sweet said...

thank you so much for sharing. I take care of my Grandmother and that is one lesson I have learned. It really doesn't matter what plans I have. I am ready for the unexpected now and I hold every moment with my Grandmother in a special place in my heart. It is funny how when my grandmother needs me the things I thought were so important quickly become just things. Have a wonderful day. Kim

 
At June 9, 2008 at 5:05 PM , Blogger Cathey said...

Thanks, Kim. You're right, there is nothing more important than those moments with the precious people in our lives. I will be expecting the unexpected with my Dad in the months to come and when need be, I will drop whatever plans I have to be where God wants me to be. Thanks for being there for your Grandmother - you are God's angel in her life.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home