Monday, September 1, 2008

Fantasy Football and other Fall Frights


I'm SLOWLY (kicking and screaming) accepting that fall is right around the corner. Now mind you, there are certain things about fall that I love - the changing leaves, crisp mornings, apple cider and football. I love going to live games and have sat through a myriad of high school games as Travis played, Whitney cheered, and Alex drummed in halftime shows. I used to take in Cougar games to watch Jason Hanson set all sorts of kicking records at WSU (he was our neighbor at the time.) I always participate in the office football pool (just want to point out that I won last year - I have to keep bragging about this as it will likely never happen again). But this year, Travis invited me to be in his Fantasy Football League. Keep in mind that I barely watch pro football - the Seahawks if they play on Sunday, and usually the playoffs and Superbowl. I know a few players, but don't have a clue about their stats. I overhear injury reports on ESPN and the latest doings of players from the FF freaks in my family.


Due to my lack of knowledge among other lame excuses, I have resisted the urge to get involved in Fantasy Football even though every member of my family participates. I am well aware of a couple of things: 1. I would feel overwhelmed with the process and 2. I would get completely competitive and obsess about the whole thing to the point that I will spend hours online trying to figure it all out so I won't look like an idiot. And it begins.....


Travis called on Thursday and asked me to join. I am hard pressed to tell Trav "no" about anything. So I said yes and then had a complete panic attack. I had to get ready to leave for the weekend. Our draft was Saturday. I wouldn't have computer access while I was gone so I madly tried to set up my player rankings so that the computer would pick as many of my favorites as I could get my hands on. Since I didn't have enough favorites to make up a team and also the fact that my favorites were not necessarily good, I had to do some research. So instead of cleaning and packing, I was checking out the online predictions. I was scrambling together a player list and hoping I had it set up right. I was actually nervous at 9:55 on Saturday (this is why I usually have the sense to resist these sorts of situations for myself). Keith was hogging his laptop and not telling me a thing. I was pacing and pretending I could care less. Lies! When I learned who the computer picked for me, I was not enamored with the system. I then had to learn how to trade, add, drop, rearrange my roster. YIKES! What are waivers? What does 90% ownership mean? How do I bribe my husband into trading quarterbacks?


And so you see my problem. I can never do things halfway. I can't just relax and enjoy being part of something. I have to at least attempt to do it WELL. I can see myself over the next few weeks -- absorbed in the internet chat about players and teams, watching every game on t.v. so I can see how my players do, seeking advice from the "pros" around me, succumbing to "those FF conversations" that I could tune out in the past. SIGH......


Fall has taken on a whole new meaning.

This is my guy - I'm counting on him to make me look like I know what I'm doing. GO HAWKS!!!!

3 Comments:

At September 3, 2008 at 8:09 AM , Blogger Life is short but God is sweet said...

way to go! I think it is great you are doing the football thing. Scott's family has a online football pool that everyone is in and it keeps us connected from all over the U.S. Hanna and I are on a team and we know nothing about football but we are having fun.

 
At September 5, 2008 at 7:37 AM , Blogger Life is short but God is sweet said...

So our family football thing started and I forgot to put in my picks. Hanna and I are called 2w/oaclue (2 without a clue) we really have no idea what we are doing and we often make our picks by the color of the uniform. We are really in last place now since we forgot to put in our picks. Hope your football stuff is going better for you.

I love your blog and would like to add your blog to my favorites if that is okay. have a great day. Kim

 
At September 5, 2008 at 8:24 AM , Blogger Cathey said...

Kim - Feel free to add my blog to your faves - I'm flattered! Just my ramblings....

Since I don't have a clue either, I should be on your team - ha,ha! But instead my team name is 3rd down and fifty (reference to my advanced age and the fact that winning this will be about as likely as getting a first down when you're fifty yards back. I'll be watching more football....

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home