Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Surprise!!! I'm Going Camping

It's true. Though I said I would never do it again, I have succumbed to peer pressure. I am actually going camping. Now, apart from a couple of camping trips with my sister and bro-in-law when I was in high school (and maybe one that I'm not sure my parents know about) that I actually enjoyed, camping has not been a particularly pleasant experience for me.

When we were first married and our kids were little, my husband took me on too many high school campouts on Lake Roosevelt where the honey buckets seldom got emptied, the weather was freezing cold, and you could only get there by boat. It was SOOO not fun to haul half our house, all the equipment, groceries, etc into the woods and set it all up, still having to cook, do dishes and sweep. I've never really thought of myself as a total girly girl, but this type of "boy scout" camping that my husband embraced was my idea of something that rhymes with well. Too much hauling stuff, dirt in my tent, grounds in my morning coffee, smelling like smoke and no showering, mosquitos and bats at night, wasps by day.....and the list goes on. I learned to not just dislike camping, I learned to ha... (that word Pastor Glenn says is a very strong word for dislike) camping. I don't remember at which point I just refused to go anymore, I just know it happened and I haven't gone since.

I thought it would remain that way for the rest of my days, but Gail and Roch kept applying pressure until I agreed to go to Gail's grandmother's campground on the St. Joe River in St. Maries, ID. Gail INSISTS I will like it. I was resistant at first, but never accepting being called a woos, I gave in. I felt a little better when I learned that the honey bucket is cleaned every week and only their family uses it, there is a hot shower and even electricity. I can drive my car there and my husband and others have agreed to cook. It begins to sound at least tolerable. Whitney and Travis agreed to come and we will have great company with the Biever and May families. How bad can it be for three days, right? I think I'll make it if it doesn't decide to rain all weekend. If I have to do wet camping, I think any softening on the camping issue may go down the drain.....

Stories and pics to follow......

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home