Saturday, October 11, 2008

God's Approach to Anger

So in light of recent blogging, I have spent some time thinking about and studying the Biblical approach to anger and when it is appropriate. There are scriptural examples of anger in the life of Christ. He got angry over wrong doing and distressed over people's stubborn hearts. He got angry at the wrongdoing and the harm it did in God's Kingdom and he got angry at individuals who caused harm to others. Nowhere does it say we shouldn't get angry, but that we should not let our anger consume us.

I am not an angry person - I just don't go there much. I am usually quite patient with people. When I do get angry, it's generally over quickly after I have had a chance to vent. Perhaps to use my blog to vent isn't the best choice but perhaps it is better than landing in the middle of someone. At least on a blog the reader can decide if it applies to them. And it is MY blog. I don't want it to be harmful, but I want it to be real. I think we need to see each other struggle with hard things in life. I think we need to not display a "perfect" personna where everything is always rosey. However, I also don't want other people to "get on board" with my feelings about something I write about. I need to be aware of the power of words.

So my apologies if I offended anyone with my indignation about people's harmful behavior in regards to Kathryn and Leland. I don't apologize for feeling strongly about protecting them. But most likely I should have taken more time with my response and been more gentle with my words. Jesus' anger looked at motives. I need to do that, too. I don't know anyone that would want to hurt Kathryn and Leland. But I also know they can be hurt by well-intentioned words.

So my conclusion, if there is one because I am still working on this process, is that we all need to look at motives, be gentle with words, admit we are human, be angry about the things that make God angry and continue to be real with each other. I'm feeling very real lately.....

1 Comments:

At October 11, 2008 at 6:52 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good stuff Cathey. Thanks

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home